The Great Security Debate Book Club is in FULL force this week as we talk about life after you’ve gotten the job in information security and are looking for the growth and promotion that come as you grow your career.
Check out the show notes on our website www.greatsecuritydebate.net/48 to get links to all the books, articles, and references we discuss up through the show.
A mere appetiser sized sampling of the topics we cover in this hour include:
- What does it mean to “return to normal” in work in 2023?
- How do you grow in your role once you are in the Infosec field?
- The “old-man” perspective on entitlement in growing within jobs
- What approaches work (and don’t work) when asking for promotions, raises, new roles, within your organisation
- Conversely, how to approach getting responsibilities added with out getting additional compensation
- Using the word “I” vs “We” when talking about a job and your team
- What to consider the factors and risks outside the office when looking at role and organisational growth
- The importance of knowing the difference between what you want to say vs how it will be received when read by the recipient
- What do you do when you find yourself as (or think you are) the smartest person in the room?
- What resources can people use to get ready for their next growth step at work?
- How can networking and mentoring be valuable to find the next position?
Since it came up a few times in the show, remember that not every securty career path ends with becoming a CISO, or nor should we expect that everyone in infosec wants to become a CISO!
We also have a video channel on YouTube that airs the "with pictures" edition of the podcast. Please head to https://youtube.com/@greatsecuritydebate and watch, subscribe and "like" the episodes.
Some of the links in the show notes contain affiliate links that may earn a commission should you choose to make a purchase using these links. Using these links supports The Great Security Debate, so we appreciate it when you use them. We do not make our recommendations based on the availability or benefits of these affiliate links.
Thanks for listening!
- High-Earning Men Are Cutting Back on Their Working Hours - WSJ
- Census: Michigan's population drops again for 2nd consecutive year
- 5 Whys - Getting to the Root of a Problem Quickly
- Little Giants: 10 Hispanic Women Who Made History: Calderon, Raynelda A., Donna, Wiscombe: 9781733139229: Amazon.com: Books
- Amazon.com: True North, Emerging Leader Edition: Leading Authentically in Today's Workplace eBook : Clayton, Zach, George, Bill, Gergen, David: Kindle Store
- Amazon.com : never split the difference book
- Amazon.com: Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It eBook : Voss, Chris, Raz, Tahl: Kindle Store
- Michigan becomes 14th state to mandate personal finance education
- Amazon.com: Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition eBook : Patterson, Kerry, Grenny, Joseph, McMillan, Ron, Switzler, Al: Kindle Store
- Amazon.com: Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Talking About Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior (Audible Audio Edition): Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, Barrett Whitener, McGraw Hill-Ascent Audio: Books
- Amazon.com: Slumdog Millionaire [Blu-ray] : Boyle, Danny, Patel, Dev, Pinto, Freida, Khan, Irrfan, Kapoor, Anil, Shukla, Saurabh, Zutshi, Raj, Talwar, Jeneva, Aggarwal, Sunil, Ismail, Azharuddin Mohammed, Khedekar, Ayush Mahesh: Movies & TV
- Amazon.com: Quiz Show : Ralph Fiennes, John Turturro, Hank Azaria, Rob Morrow, David Paymer, Allan Rich, Paul Scofield, Christopher McDonald, Johann Carlo, Mira Sorvino, Elizabeth Wilson, Griffin Dunne, Timothy Busfield, Martin Scorsese, Barry Levinson, Robert Redford, Paul Attanasio: Movies & TV
- MentorCore – Growth and Development at your Fingertips
- MentorCore Slack — Join the Slack
- Michigan Council of Women in Technology Foundation / Michigan council of women in technology foundation